This is the second of a series of articles on places to study photography around the world. This post is the latest in the Photography Series which showcases useful information of interest to modern explorers and photographers that Kike gathers during his travels.
As I continue the exploration to find some of the best options around the world to pursue an education in photography, the list from So You Want to Study Photography? Part I expands a little on this post:
- Maine Media Workshops is an international educational nonprofit based in Rockport, Maine. Students the world over travel here to attend workshops, take classes, and collaborate with artists and professionals of all levels. High schoolers can even take classes there, while master’s degrees and more are available at Maine Media College. Over 400 workshops are offered here – it’s a remote oasis of artistic creativity, surrounded by the rugged shores and forests of Maine!
- The International Center of Photography (ICP) The ICP is one of the most renowned institutions for both photography education and exhibition. It was created to “bring public attention to outstanding achievements in photography.” Located in Manhattan, the ICP draws photographers the world over to its exceptional programs.
- Santa Fe Photographic Workshops Based in the stunning Santa Fe, New Mexico, Santa Fe offers workshops in a vast variety of photographic disciplines, taking you all around the world. With competitions, landscape photography, and portrait workshops, there’s something for everyone – and many of their workshops are held in other parts of the US, so look and see if there’s one near you!
- The Rocky Mountain School of Photography Based in Missoula, Montana, the RMSP is another organization dedicated to training professional photographers in an environment of natural beauty. They also offer summer intensive career training workshops – a great option for those hoping to hone their professional skills.
- Art Wolfe is a renowned photographer with years of experience creating revolutionary photography. One of the pioneers of conservation photography, he now leads workshops in various places around the US and in the world. Work by the side of a great master and learn how he creates his visually arresting works!
- Mediastorm is a film production and interactive design studio. They focus on communicating relevant stories and creating empathy in the viewer, and they aim to help today’s professionals do the same. They produce workflows, organizational tools, online training, and a massive variety of workshops.
- And of course, there is always National Geographic! For 127 years, they have been taking people out of the world they know and into new and eye-opening adventures, with experts by their side. Whether it’s a photo workshop or an educational trip with photo opportunities galore, the selection of programs is truly stunning.
- VII Photography Workshops: VII, “a group of engaged and committed photographers concerned with the world and lives of others,” work to provide the tools for successful photojournalists to make the most of their talents. They offer, workshops, conferences, and a great mentoring program for young artists.
- Magnum is a photographic cooperative made by and for photographers. They offer exhibitions, gallery shows, and workshops, both in the US and internationally.
- B&H, New York’s most popular photo supply magnate, keeps a constantly updating database of interesting photo events and workshops. Learn about photoshop, business photography, and more. And keep checking to see what else has popped up!
And of course, you call always join one of my workshops. My educational offerings range from one-day public lectures and seminars, to weekend workshops and in-depth multi-day courses. Learn more www.kikecalvotraining.com
Feel free to contact me with any suggestions on places you think could be profiled in future posts.
Follow Kike Calvo on Facebook, Twitter, Web, Tumblr, LinkedIn or Instagram.
10 Keys to Being a Good Photographer
10 Big Rules of Photography or So I Think
10 Lesson Learned with the Heart of a Photographer
The Unforgettable Photograph: 228 Ideas, Tips, and Secrets for Taking the Best Pictures of Your Life
The Beginner’s Photography Guide
Mastering Digital Photography: Jason Youn’s Essential Guide to Understanding the Art & Science of Aperture, Shutter, Exposure, Light, & Composition
La vision del fotografo: Entender y apreciar la buena fotografia (Spanish Edition)
Fotografia Paso a Paso, La (Spanish Edition)
National Geographic Stunning Photographs
National Geographic Image Collection
Through the Lens: National Geographic Greatest Photographs (National Geographic Collectors Series)
National Geographic: The Photographs (National Geographic Collectors Series)
In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits (National Geographic Collectors Series)
How-to Photography Books:
Perfect Digital Photography(Second edition)
National Geographic Complete Photography
National Geographic Ultimate Field Guide to Photography: Revised and Expanded (Photography Field Guides)
National Geographic: The Ultimate Field Guide to Landscape Photography (National Geographic Photography Field Guides)
National Geographic Ultimate Field Guide to Travel Photography (National Geographic Photography Field Guides)
Travel and Street Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer’s Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography
The Business of Photography:
How Photographs are Sold: Stories and Examples of How Fine Art Photographers Sell Their Work
Marketing Fine Art Photography
Pricing Photography: The Complete Guide to Assignment and Stock Prices
The Photographer’s Survival Guide: How to Build and Grow a Successful Business
The Photographer’s Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion
ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography
Best Business Practices for Photographers, Second Edition
MORE Best Business Practices for Photographers
Copyright Workflow for Photographers: Protecting, Managing, and Sharing Digital Images